Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Back in time?

   "If you could go back in time and tell your teenage self one things, what would you say?" (Got Teens by Jill Savage)

This is a hard one for me.  It is hard because I grew up in a great loving Christian home.  I had parents who instilled God’s values in my life, therefore I didn’t get into any “big” issues.  I never did drugs or drank alcohol and when I married I was a virgin.  I’m not saying I was “perfect”…not at all.  But, from a young age I tried to live a life for Christ.

I could tell myself to not “kiss so many frogs” before finding my “prince”.   My grandma always told me to “keep kissing those frogs and one day one will turn in to a prince”.  I would just laugh and smile at her.  But, in the back of my mind I always had those thoughts.

Or maybe I would tell myself to be more involved in “special needs” activities and get involved somehow with “special needs” families.  I say this because our oldest son, who is now 3 ½ years old, has global developmental delays.  He has no diagnosis as of yet, although we keep searching.  The only thing I can really explain about him is that he has low muscle tone throughout his body.  But, the Lord continues to give him strength and he continues to get stronger and stronger each day…little by little.  Through him I have a definite new view on life through the eyes of “special needs”.

I did help a couple years with “Special Olympics” which was always a blessing.  Those experiences opened my eyes to the “special needs” world.  But that window only stayed open for a short time, after the “Olympics” were over I went back to my blessed life and rarely thought about those kids and what their families must be going through.

So I think that is what I will settle on, I would tell my teenage self to pay more attention to those with “special needs” and their families.  I would also tell myself to look for ways to volunteer to help those families to make their lives easier and to soak up as much information on that subject as possible….in order to prepare for the future.


3 comments:

  1. It would be nice to be able to know what to expect in future! Thanks for hopping along with the rest of us today! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful that the Lord grows us and gives us what we need for each challenge as we face it. I've often been thankful that I didn't know what was "ahead," before it was God's timing. What a valuable goal to encourage our kids to be more sensitive to those will unique needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart. God's got a purpose for that little boy.

    ReplyDelete