Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Miracles of All Sizes




"Have you experienced any miracles in your life?" (My Heart's at Home by Jill Savage)

Miracles.  Miracles come in all shapes and sizes.  I’ve talked about miracles in the past on my blog.  About how I see small miracles all the time in my son Luke, now about 3 ½ years old, who has global developmental delays.  Let me explain that briefly for those of you who do not follow my blog, basically my son is behind in everything…so he does not say actual words, cannot walk on his own (but is able to walk with the aid of a walker now), and cannot use two fingers to pick up items like a cheerio or a small cracker.   I talked about the miracles seen in him when he finally pulled up at 32 months old, and how he was able to finally say “dada” at 16 months.  Today I want to share a little different spin on how I have been seeing miracles in my life lately.

God is a God of miracles.  I don’t know how many times I have heard that in my lifetime.  So many!  I see His work every day in my life.  Just two days ago I saw a small miracle while waiting for a eye doctor appointment for Luke.  When I take Luke places I encounter a wide variety of things.  Some people show pity, others curiosity, some show a joy or happiness by smiling at him, while others ignore him completely.  This day most of the parents and children ignored Luke.  A couple boys stared like they were trying to figure out Luke and why he would need a walker…or maybe they wondered what the contraption he was using actually was…since they probably hadn’t seen anything like it.

But there was one girl that quietly sought to make Luke a friend.  I had Luke at one of those tables that has a clear plastic top and below that is sand along with little cars.  Underneath the table itself you find magnets that you can use to move these cars around in the sand.

 Well, Luke kept trying to pick up the cars and didn’t understand why he couldn’t reach them.  Then a girl, about 9 years old, came over to the table and made those cars move using the magnets underneath the table.  Boy did Luke love that!  He laughed and laughed, and watched so closely.  He still tried to pick up the cars and couldn’t do it.  But he wasn’t frustrated anymore.  He was entertained by a 9 year old girl who wanted to do something nice for a little boy.

That is just one little everyday miracle that I’ve experienced.  I’ve also experienced large miracles.   One was when my mother at the age of 64 had a stroke.  It was a strong one, one that the doctors were amazed that she lived through.  You see, it turned out that she had a smaller scale stroke when she was younger…but never knew it.  That smaller stroke blocked some blood vessels on the top of her brain…which in turn forced her body to grow new vessels to bring more oxygen to the other side of the brain.  It was these new vessels that saved her life during her larger scale stroke.  God brought her through and continues to work in her.
Miracles happen when we don’t ask for them.  But I am also now learning to ask for them.  You see with Luke, we still have no diagnosis.  Even the muscle biopsy came back normal.  So now I look to God and ask him to work a miracle in Luke.  Luke is continuing to get stronger and make progress, though slow.   So I know that God is doing that miracle in him.  But, recently I am also asking for a specific miracle for Luke. 
Along with his weak muscles in his arms, legs and torso…Luke also has weak eye muscles.  Some know this as Strabismus or more commonly known as Lazy Eye.  They have talked about surgery for over a year now, and they say now is the time to do it.  So in just two short weeks Luke will be going in for a surgery to tighten these weak eye muscles.

So you may ask, why pray for a miracle?  You are getting surgery…so that should do it right?  Well, in most cases…yes.  But, with Luke I have been told many times over that they probably won’t be able to correct his eyes 100% like they normally can.  Because of Luke’s condition…whatever it may be….there is a high risk of over or under correction.  So I have been told not to expect 100% correction.

So the miracle I ask is that God use this surgery and the doctor to fix Luke’s eye’s 100%, not 80% or even 99%...but 100%.  Because I know that God is a God of miracles and He can use anyone or anything to complete His purposes.  I want God to prove the doctor and so many others wrong, to show that it is possible to fix the eye's 100% in a child like Luke...because He is involved!!

The scripture that has been near to my heart lately talks about how we ask God for things.  So I will leave you with this scripture as my final thought and hope that it may help you see your prayer life a little differently.   I had heard this scripture many times in the past, but it hit me hardest when I read it from The Message…so that is how I will share it with you.

“If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father.  He loves to help.  You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it.  Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.  People who  ‘worry their prayers’ are like wind-whipped waves.  Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.” (James 1:5-8, The Message)

5 comments:

  1. I will pray that Luke's surgery goes well. He is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to see that scripture today. Thank you for reminding me to ASK for what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hi! I blog-hopped over.) Praise God for His miraculous provisions! We will pray for Luke's surgery to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder that God hears our prayers and that we should ask boldly. Praying that God answers your prayer for 100% vision correction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that God will prove to the doctor and so many others wrong!

    a latte of blessings & giggles,
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete